05 August 2009

The Cory Poem

(based 100% on quotes of Cory Aquino)

I just do whatever it is that I believe I should do,
Regardless of the risks to my life.
I would rather die a meaningful death
Than to live a meaningless life.

Faith is not simply a patience
That passively suffers until the storm is past.
Rather, it is a spirit that bears things
With blazing, serene hope.

It is true you cannot eat freedom
And you cannot power machinery with democracy.
But then neither can political prisoners turn on
The light in the cells of a dictatorship.

The nation was awakened by that deafening shot
They came out in the millions
All the world wondered as they witnessed...
A people lift themselves from humiliation.

Reconciliation should be accompanied by justice,
Otherwise it will not last.
While we all hope for peace
It should peace based on principle, on justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment